WELCOME TO OUR WEBSITE
FOR TENANTS BY TENANTS
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Daylight Saving Time

Website Home Games ForumHelpSearchLoginRegisterBroadcast Message to Admin(s)AwardsRatings  
Almond Housing Association Tenants forumGeneral Board › Looking across the broadband gap. BT announced the first phase of its super-fast broadband
  facebook twitter bebo find us on facebook
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send Topic Print  
Looking across the broadband gap. BT announced the first phase of its super-fast broadband
Read 1875 times

Forum Administrator   Offline
YaBB Administrator
Awards: 3
Best ContentTop PosterGold Star

Livingston, Scotland
I love Forum`s

Looking across the broadband gap. BT announced the first phase of its super-fast broadband
22.03.2009 at 15:53:18
Alert Board Moderator about this Post! 
From Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
Gordon Brown says the Scottish Borders, where his business is based, is used to being the last in line.

"By the time we get things," he explains, "everybody else has already had it."

So he was not surprised when BT announced the first phase of its super-fast broadband developments would centre on Glasgow and Edinburgh.

Just because it came as no shock, however, does not mean that it did not provoke some disappointment.

"It is very, very frustrating," he admits. "You get penalised for being in an area like this."

Mr Brown is managing director of Galashiels-based telecommunications company GB Telecom.

He believes it is likely to take up to five years for the broadband speeds being delivered to the central belt to reach the Borders.

BT is planning to install new connections in parts of Glasgow and Edinburgh which will give access to download speeds of up to 40Mbs (megabits per second).

'Night and day'

Yet he argues that if there was such access in his area, it could transform many of the businesses he works with.

"It would be like night and day," he reckons.

The Borders businessman can remember the first adverts for broadband based on "home working from the isles".

And with a wry aside he recalls how quickly they disappeared from TV screens.

The reason, he believes, is that such a vision of taking business opportunities to rural areas was never likely to be delivered.

"It is little wonder big businesses don't come down here - to get what they need they have to pay handsomely for it," he said.

It is the kind of situation which means he is likely to look to Glasgow and Edinburgh with a degree of envy for some time to come.

Yes I Am The Administrator.
as bill and ted say (Be excellent to each other)

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or RegisterMultimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
  WWW xnoddyx1 xn0ddyx
IP Logged    

Advertisement

Otaku   Offline
YaBB Administrator
Awards: 2
Best ContentBest Assistant Admin

Glasgow, Scotland
Always observant!

Re: Looking across the broadband gap. BT announced the
Reply #1 - 31.05.2011 at 02:47:56
Alert Board Moderator about this Post! 
Well find that funny and misleading in saying Glasgow gets it before anyone else, I'll have to wait until 2015 before getting FTTC. But by the time that happens, I'll probably be living abroad for at least two years enjoying 100, 500 or even a BIG whopping 1GB/s, but that's Japan for you though.  Grin

Or as it should be put "the land of the guinea pigs for testing new broadband technologies."

Sometimes I wish I was born as a girl, as my life might have been more fun and exciting. But then the thought of going though period pains that all woman go though, soon drives that thought out the window and makes me glad I'm a man.
  WWW Otaku Otaku live:jambo.ok 132919535 meman887 meman887 meman887 meman9999
IP Logged    

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send Topic Print  

Link to This Topic