WELCOME TO OUR WEBSITE
FOR TENANTS BY TENANTS
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Daylight Saving Time

Website Home Games ForumHelpSearchLoginRegisterBroadcast Message to Admin(s)AwardsRatings  
Almond Housing Association Tenants forumAlmond Housing Association and info LinksComplaint about Almond Housing Association › building defects
  facebook twitter bebo find us on facebook
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send Topic Print  
building defects
Read 2603 times

Forum Administrator   Offline
YaBB Administrator
Awards: 3
Best ContentTop PosterGold Star

Livingston, Scotland
I love Forum`s

building defects
10.01.2012 at 14:26:07
Alert Board Moderator about this Post! 
i seen this in the West Lothian Courier but have just had the time to put this here
From: Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

A WHITBURN woman whose house has been riven with mould for nearly a decade has been told she needs to fund the move to a new property.

Mother-of-two Ann Alexander featured in the Courier in 2005 after the inside of her house in Broadfaulds Crescent became covered in a black soot-like dust.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

With time the whole house became plagued by mould, forcing Ann to repeatedly spend money on new furniture and other items.

Her repeated request for a move was finally accepted recently when Almond Housing Association offered her a property elsewhere in West Lothian, which she has accepted.

But, just when Ann thought she was escaping her nightmare, the association removed their earlier offer of paying decoration and flooring costs which had been agreed following a meeting on November 18.

The association told Ann that any payment would be an admission of liability on their part, while they believe builders were actually to blame.

“The association told me to put together a list of what we needed for when we moved to the new place,” Ann said.

“But then they came back to me and said they wouldn’t actually be paying for anything in the end. I’ve just had enough now.

“The association say they are not liable for it but I pay my rent to them, not the builders. Who else do I go to? No lawyer will take my case on and I just cannot understand why.

“The housing association have told us that they need to move us so they can get the building works done. I have nothing to move in with now. My stuff is just in boxes and I just can’t afford new stuff again.”

Ann has spent around £6000 over the last eight years on essential works in the house, which has included buying new furniture, wardrobes, drawers, bookcases and carrying out painting work.

Ann, who moved into the property nearly nine years ago, received £1600 from the association in 2005 for carpets, a suite and blinds which had been ruined by the mould. On that occasion she had to sign a disclaimer to get the cash.

She had been advised to seek compensation from her insurers over the matter but was told that as it was an ongoing problem they wouldn’t get involved.

In October Ann enlisted the help of a forensic building expert from London who carried out a vigorous evaluation of the property when she was still struggling to get her move.

She said: “I’ve been told in the past that the building is retaining moisture and the problem stems from when it was built.

“A forensic building expert came up to look at the place and he was shocked by what he saw. He told us we shouldn’t be living like this.

“Myself and my two daughters, who have stayed at the house, have had health issues because of this as well.

“My 23-year-old daughter has hypermobility syndrome and my 14-year-old was diagnosed with asthma in May 2006.”

George Webster, chief executive of Almond Housing Association said: “It seems to be a very complex issue and we believe that it relates to a problem in the original construction of the property.

“We are discussing this with the builders and with a forensic building expert to try and resolve what has been a difficult problem.

“It may be that it would be best for all concerned that our tenant is relocated either temporarily or permanently in order to allow further investigation and potential remedial work.

“We are working with our tenant to agree a solution to what has been a difficult situation for her as swiftly as possible.”

as i see it Ann's repeated request for a move it should have gotten her a move much sooner than it did why
It’s a serious problem because of the health risks associated with mould spores. The mould fungi have been identified as the source of many health problems, including infections, asthma, allergies and sinusitis. Moulds produce allergens, irritants, and in some cases, toxins that may cause reactions in humans.

i have included a link to a pdf on Damp, Condensation and Mould in Rental Propertyand also as a download from here the pdf is from landlordzone.co.uk

« Last Edit: 10.01.2012 at 15:00:48 by Forum Administrator »  
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register (247 KB | 54 )

Yes I Am The Administrator.
as bill and ted say (Be excellent to each other)

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or RegisterMultimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
  WWW xnoddyx1 xn0ddyx
IP Logged    

Advertisement
david   Guest

Re: building defects
Reply #1 - 03.02.2012 at 00:06:11
we had the same problem in a temp tennancy council tryed to blame us . so got the social work involed which moved us out within a week cause we had asthma and a new born. it was a problem with the house it ruined our stuff had to was everything.

IP Logged    

KelliShort123   Offline
New Tenant

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Re: building defects
Reply #2 - 19.09.2013 at 13:35:26
Try to get help  from some NGO. If you have some written document then you can appeal it.

IP Logged    

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send Topic Print  

Link to This Topic